The Jewish Federation of Durham-Chapel Hill is the central hub of the local Jewish community, serving as the umbrella organization for the Levin Jewish Community Center, Jewish Family Services, the Jewish Community Foundation, Jewish Community Relations Council, the Israel Center, and Community Midrasha.
Mission: The Jewish Federation of Durham-Chapel Hill’s mission is to connect Jews in the local community, help those in need both here and abroad, and provide and support programs and services that enable current and future generations to lead more meaningful lives inspired by Jewish values.
Vision: We strive to provide programs and services that help those in need, provide opportunities for people to engage, and offer a sense of belonging to a vibrant community.
Values: The values that inform our decisions and guide our activities:
- We are guided by our belief that building strong community is critical for the well being and the future of the Jewish people
- We are guided by the teachings of our tradition, including commitments to:
- Tikkun olam (repairing the world)
- Tzedakah (justice and charity)
- Chesed (kindness)
- K’lal Yisrael (Jewish peoplehood)
- Hachnasat orchim (welcoming newcomers)
- We are committed to being responsible and accountable stewards of community resources
- We embrace pluralism and welcome a diversity of beliefs and opinions from every member of our community
Federation Guiding Principles on Policy Concerning Israel
- Purpose: To guide Federation in making decisions related to Israel that best reflect the mission, vision, and values of our organization.
- Assumptions: No single statement can encompass all perspectives. We strive to reach a general consensus that is reflective of our community.
- Scope: References to support of Israel refer to the State and people of Israel, not its government or politics.
#1. We, the Jewish Federation of Durham Chapel Hill supports Israel’s right to exist as a Jewish and democratic state. We recognize the historical and ongoing cultural and religious connection of the State of Israel to the Jewish people.
#2. We recognize the right of Israel and its people to live in peace and security.
#3. In support of its position regarding Israel, the Jewish Federation of Durham Chapel Hill provides resources and opportunities for our community to philanthropically support Israel and its people.
#4. We view Israel as a core element of Jewish life and thus promote a continuum of enriching opportunities, including educational, service, cultural and social programs and experiences that engage with, educate about, and celebrate Israel. We seek to provide open, civil forums through which a broad range of beliefs and opinions can be respectfully shared and discussed. While we recognize there is diversity of opinion regarding Israel and acknowledge that not all perspectives may be formally represented, we invite and welcome all community members to participate in these forums.
#5. Israel Standards of Partnership: The Federation will only partner with, house, or host organizations, groups, or speakers that as a matter of policy and/or practice engage with local, national, or international communities in a constructive and civil manner consistent with the guiding principles set above.