Volunteers make a difference!
Volunteers are the lifeline of Jewish Family Services. You can make an important difference in the life of a needy child, a lonely older adult, a refugee family, or a person with a disability.
We need your help and support in providing transportation to older adults who have difficulty getting to doctor’s appointments, running errands, and attending JFS programs. We also need your help in becoming a friendly visitor for persons in the community who could benefit from extra social support each month. You may also serve as a leader in the community by helping to lead a weekly Shabbat Outreach service at one of our area senior congregate facilities. In addition, please don’t forget to donate your canned and non-perishable items to the JFS Food Pantry! Please contact Jordana Brown at 919-354-4924 or email@example.com for more information about these or other volunteer opportunities.
Spring 2017 Volunteer Opportunities:
- Jewish Family Services (JFS) Day of Service – Monday, March 13th
- Like last year, we will be making homemade Passover treats to add to our Passover Food Bags. We will be making Matzah Ball Soup, Charoset, and Matzah Toffee.
- Passover Food Drive – March 2017
- We will be collecting Passover items for Passover Food Bags. A flyer will be posted in the Weiss Family Lobby at the Levin JCC with all of our needs.
- Chaverim Seder – Wednesday, April 5th 11:00am-1:00pm
- We always need extra hands for this event! This event will take place in the Sol Schechter Community Hall at the Levin JCC.
- Food Bag Packaging & Delivering – Friday, April 7th
- We will pack and Deliver our Passover Food Bags to those in need in the community.
- Volunteer Enrichment Program – Wednesday, April 26th 2:30-4:00pm
- To acknowledge all that you do for JFS and our Jewish community, we are planning a volunteer enrichment program. Dr. Kris Herfkins will be giving a talk and leading a discussion about working and communicating with our clients and/or people who have memory loss issues. RSVP required by April 19th.
Become a JFS Volunteer today!
For those of you with particular talents and interests, we’re creative about matching your expertise with a variety of fun special projects including:
Do you have an hour to spare? Do a mitzvah and volunteer for JFS’s Shabbat Outreach program.
Shabbat Outreach volunteers lead a short Shabbat service on Friday afternoons for Jewish residents of two local long term care facilities. JFS provides the juice, service booklets, and other materials. All you bring is a loaf of challah and yourself! You may sign up for one Friday a month or more if you are available.
Please contact Jordana Brown at 919-354-4924 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Bikkur Cholim – Visiting the Sick. Bikkur Cholim volunteers visit community members who are in the hospital or recovering at home who are unaffiliated with a congregation or who are from out of town.
Volunteers spend 2-4 hours a month helping run errands or visiting with a senior or homebound person in our community. They spend time going for a walk, talking about books, or exploring common interests.
Clerical & Administrative Help
Volunteers are occasionally needed to help make phone calls, stuff envelopes, write thank you notes, answer the phone, and help in the dozens of other little ways that are so important to make our organization run smoothly.
Community Mitzvah Projects
In partnership with other organizations, such as Community Midrasha, the Lerner Jewish Community Day School, and NC Hillel, volunteers work to make our community and the world a better place.
Support-A-Family Program for Chanukah
Bring joy and light this Chanukah to a Jewish family in need! Sign up to participate in the JFS Support-a-Family program. You will be assigned to a family anonymously, buy their presents, and drop them off at the Levin JCC before Chanukah. Suggested amount per family is $100-$200. Support on your own or have your friends participate with you. This is a wonderful volunteer opportunity to do with your family or Chavurah. Check back in 2017 for more information!